Dunleavy agrees to reduced university cut
JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) – The Latest on the Alaska budget (all times local):
Gov. Mike Dunleavy says he will support a $25 million cut to the Alaska university system this year, a sharp reversal from the $135 million cut he earlier endorsed.
Dunleavy on Tuesday signed an agreement with Board of Regents Chair John Davies calling for a three-year cut to the university’s operating budget of $25 million this year, $25 million next year and $20 million the following year.
The Legislature is tasked with appropriating funds, but the agreement says Dunleavy will “propose, support and permit” those funding levels. The university is to report on progress it is making toward various goals.
Dunleavy said the change in position is unrelated to efforts to recall him from office. He says there had been ongoing talks with the university that ultimately led to the agreement.
Gov. Mike Dunleavy says he will not veto funding for Head Start and other early childhood learning programs from the budget recently sent to him by lawmakers.
Dunleavy in June vetoed about $8.8 million for early childhood programs, including about $6.8 million for Head Start. Lawmakers, unable to override those and other vetoes, instead passed legislation restoring much of the vetoed funds.
Dunleavy’s office has said he considers much of the budget settled but is willing to look at allowing funding to go forward for certain programs.
Speaking in Anchorage Tuesday, Dunleavy says he regrets any angst people have experienced. But he says his vetoes got people talking about what they value.
On Monday, Dunleavy said he would support funding in the budget for senior benefits that he previously vetoed.